When picking out treats for your dogs, there are some important facts you should consider first.
• Where is it made? Always look for treats that are made in the USA to ensure high production standards and safety. Imported treats have created many problems in the past due to contamination and safety. Look for the MADE IN THE USA label.
• What’s in it? Is the treat high in protein or filled with empty calories? Is it healthy and natural? Does it provide basic vitamins, anti-oxidants, amino acids and other healthy ingredients that support your dog’s good health?
• Does it taste good? Flavor is important. Your dogs won’t eat it if they don’t like it, and that means you’ve simply wasted your money.
• Is it recommended for my dog? Some treats are sized for dogs of different weights. Others contain specific ingredients that are suitable for different life stages or medical conditions. Always make sure the treat is right for your dog’s needs.
• Is it safe? You should always put safety first when selecting a treat. For example, rawhide is one of the most popular dog treats, but it can be very dangerous for your dog. It is not digestible – if swallowed, rawhide can become a choking hazard or cause an intestinal blockage.
• What else can the treat do for my dog? Functional treats provide a wide variety of benefits, from arthritis support and weight control to dental care and fresh breath.
With so many different dog treats available, it’s hard to know which ones to buy. These tips will help you find the best treats for your dog. When you stick to these guidelines and always read the label you’ll know you’re making the best possible choice.
Taken from an article on www.petplace.com.